Monday, February 25, 2008

Longkang(drain) frogging

Date : 25th February 2008
Time : 8.00pm to 9.30pm
Weather : After a heavy rain
Location : Batu Pahat, Johor, Malaysia again..

It started raining quite heavily at around 6ish and the rain lasted for about 1 hour. Then, at around 7ish, i got a torch and followed the frog calls. It was so loud i almost fainted of joy. It was so noisy, i felt the warmth of the Anurans.

Then, i went back home to try to drag/force someone along. So, my dad and i went to that area, a drain across my house. There, we saw about 30 frogs. Yeah. There were mainly Kaloula pulchra(Banded bullfrogs), all bloated up and singing. I also saw 2 Bufo melanostictus (Asian toads) and 2 Polypedates leucomystax (4-lined common tree frog). Here are some pics of them. There were so many Kaloula pulchra(Banded bullfrogs), it was overwhelming. And obviously the novelty of Kaloula pulchra(Banded bullfrogs) to me subsided. Remember how i used to think it was "legendary".

And, the focus of the day was this little frog i couldnt catch. It was pretty fast. I din't manage to get hold of it but got a shot of it. Something fresh. This is my first encounter with this species. I have yet to confirm the actual species name.

Yeah, adding on. I heard at least 4 different calls in that vicinity. The most distinct call of the bullfrogs, the Asian toads, the "low nasal quacking" of the 4-lined common tree frog and a "staccato series of clicking sounds" (which i believe is that of the species Rana chalconota.

Sitting here, blogging, i can still hear the calls.
One bloated buddy

4 of them

Spot the anura

One newly wed


A Kaloula pulchra-ful night =)

.alicia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, do you know where and when we can actually catch these Kaloula pulchra? I kinda need them for a project and the last two ones we caught had been stolen. Do we have to wait for the rain? Have you any idea what their tadpoles look like?

I would really appreciate it if you sent me a message via margaret.alcala9@gmail.com. We've been trying to look for them here in Cebu for a month with no luck.