Monday, January 28, 2008

A Frogful night

Date : 28th January 2008
Time: 7.20pm to 8.00pm
Weather : fair
-Nigel, Shinyee and I

Today, I caught the smallest frog, I have ever seen. It was so small, I didn't even think it was a frog. It was a Microphyla heymonsi, more commonly known as the dark-sided chorus frog. We heard the call all over the place. Being such a noobie, I was just frantically trying to spot one. Nigel then asked to to stay at one spot to spot carefully and patiently. Yeah, then we managed to get one of those lil creature. It was brownish, with a distinct blackish brown line at its side. It was really cool. =). Couldnt get a picture of it though, due to a technical setback of my camera.

Then, we proceeded near a pond, to spot the Rana erythraea species. Shinyee spotted one. Sigh, when i tried to grab it, (i think i wasn't using enough brains), i let it slipped through my hands. And leaped to dunno where. Anyway, i enjoyed this session quite a lot. I learnt how to handle a small frog, and also to act faster the next time (the Rana erythraea incident).

After that, at about 8ish to about 9.30pm, we went from KE7, down to Medicine and then back. Typically urban, found nothing. Then, as we were heading back, we heard this frog call. The area was quite wet, with a few puddles. However, the croaking stopped as we went closer. I will definitely go back there for a 2nd search. At least, there's hope. =)


Alicia

No comments: