Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Double happiness

Date : 5th Feb 2008
Time : 7.30pm to 10.00pm
Survey Site : From PGP Res. to Bus stop near AS3 and AS7.
Weather : Cool, was drizzling for about half an hour earlier in the afternoon.

Hypothesis : There are DEFINITELY frogs/toads in NUS Kent Ridge campus

In the beginning, i was reluctant to go frogging today. Little did i realise this will be my last night before the short cny break. So, i decided to "qiong" all out tonight instead of (highly likely to stone and idle away my night)just wasting the night away. So, i did. I just hung around the Puddle(checked), waterlogged(checked), Good drainage system (checked), Park-like (checked) area. [read: PGP, dun blame me, i was just hanging out at the compound of my home] There, i saw this little one. An Asian toad. A Bufo melanostictus. It is by far the smallest toad i have caught. It was just stoning there when i 'approached' it. Got a pic of it and released it.

Then, as i was about to leave, i heard this croaking which was pretty distict. Then i walked(rolled) down the slope towards the drain. There, i saw this big guy,another Asian toad, [Bufo melanostictus] starting at me. Grabbed it, chucked it into a ziplock bag and brought it up. Took a picture of it and let it go. And yeah, before that, another piece of good news. I saw some more jelly-bubble-like things. I felt it and it was quite sticky. Hope its some spawn this time. Plus, the waterbody looked like it was either permanent or semi-permanent.

After that, I walked all the way from PGP Residence, right down Prince George's Park, towards Biz, frogged around A*star and Biz, went around KR Hall and continued walking. I walked and hunted along the way. Along the way, i Step 1 (walked, shined and hunted). Repeat Step 1 until a frog/toad is found. Along the way, somewhere around Temasek Hall and Eusoff Hall, i thought i heard a croak. i thought i was just being too hopeful. But, once in about 3 minutes, the call came back, for a split of a second.

So, when i went down into the Temasek and Eusoff carpark, i tried to follow the sound, the sound of hope(the toad's call la). I didnt know exactly where it was coming from. So, I just walked along the curb of the parking lots. Then, there and behold, my 3rd Asian toad[Bufo melanostictus] of the day. It was pretty blur like the previous 2. Same procedure, grab, chuck into ziplock bag. Take pic. I found it at lot 395 of the Temasek/Eusoff parking lot (opposite AS7).

That was pretty much what i did for tonight. Started at about 7.30pm and got back at around 10pm. Indeed a very cool night.

There are DEFINITELY frogs/toads in NUS Kent Ridge campus.

Aliciatan

1 comment:

Halori said...

Been following your blog. :P
hmm, No other frog/toads than asian toad???
anyway, chio me one time for frogging, k?
(and sorry for still not able to get u people...)