Saturday, April 5, 2008

Of frogs and toads

The Pursuit of Anurans

In my steaming hot hostel room which has only enough room for a little mushroom, sat a reptile; a changeable lizard (Calotes versicolor). I had previously caught this new found friend while waiting for the bus after lectures. Where are all the fauna on campus? My fairly urban campus has a widespread of students from all around the globe. But, where is the buffet of animals? Besides at the cafes and canteens?

This sparked many questions in my head. This was how I came about searching for anurans (frogs and toads) on my university campus in hot and humid Singapore. Day in day out, most of us students attend lectures after lectures, tutorials after tutorials. We may be physically present on campus, but we are almost completely shut-off from the biological and ecological aspects of our surroundings. That made me wonder who really cared about the not exactly beautiful frogs and toads living amongst us.

The anurans on campus are those which are less vulnerable to human disturbance. I call them urban toads/frogs. And my cousin jokingly asked whether they wore suits and ties. No, they carry briefcases. Personally I think we are too caught up with ourselves to even notice them. Maybe they do carry briefcases and maybe even umbrellas during the rain.

With the help of my supervisor, who is in the opinion that he has not heard as many anuran calls as he used to in the past, I embarked on a incredible journey. The pursuit of anurans. I went out searching for the anurans around my school. Shining my headtorch, straining hard to locate them. Looking for the frogs, and hoping to hear some of them. Many nights were frogless and croakless. But the sight of the anurans will just bring so much joy, to me at least. These little creatures were the like treasure. Rare and precious will be the words for them.

The three species I encountered were the Bufo melanostictus, Polypedates leucomystax and the Kaloula pulchra. They are considered common species, maybe too common for their own good. Therefore, are of little concern and interest. However, they were getting most of my attention for the three months of the project. And the memories of them will be tagging along with me, throughout my path of life. The lessons learnt, mistakes made, scoldings obtained and critism received were numerous and brain drilling, almost overwhelming.

At this point, I am only able to speculate that the anurans will be an indicator of the environmental condition of our surroundings. They are able to show us a frogview of the place where we live in coexistance. The anurans will be the best folks to approach for environmnal advice, if only we understood their croak choir. Give these toads a chance to change the world, before we change it with their extinction.

As for me, now that the project has came to an end, I definitely miss my frog spotting sesssions. I miss the thrill I get at unexpected finds. Nowadays, I cannot help but to look into any drains or vegetated areas, in case I missed an anuran while walking around school. I may not be the best frogger around, but the frogs are around; only if you give them some of your priceless time. The pursuit of the anurans, taught me to seek because I might find. In addition, the findings will be invaluable. Plus, finders keepers; especially in terms of experinces and exposure.


I toad-ank you.

1 comment:

elaine.tan 陈伟伶 said...

Well written :)

This write-up deserves the spot at the front page of the Frogs/Toads Daily. I'm sure the Toads/Frogs (urban ones that is) are glad to have people (who cares) like you around!

Go F.R.O.G.O.A.D.S!!

You reminded that through the hustle + bustle of our busy.ssyy life we definitely should..

Pause.Listen.Wonder.Appreciate the wonders that God has created :p

PS. I wasn't sure if it was alright for me to comment on your blog (since it a school project!) but i thought you deserve a *pat* on the back for your enthusiasm + effort. :p

Sincerely,
This *proud* sister of this Frog.oads activist :)